Wolf Trap Kicks Off the 2018 Summer Season with The Washington Ballet’s Filene Center Debut, Live from Here with Chris Thile, plus John Fogerty and ZZ Top
- From chart-toppers to family fun, and classical music to classic rock, Wolf Trap provides a diverse offering of artists and welcomes arts and entertainment fans from across the Washington, D.C. region
- The first month highlights Wolf Trap’s scope and quality, with performances by Alison Krauss with David Crosby and Friends, Steven Tyler and The Loving Mary Band, Nile Rodgers & CHIC with Chaka Khan, Dr. Dog and Manchester Orchestra, Charlie Wilson, Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, and the annual free Summer Blast-Off! concert with “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band
- Wolf Trap Opera’s season features an expanded summer schedule, including a fully staged new production of Verdi’s Rigoletto at the Filene Center, two new productions at The Barns, and UNTRAPPED, an initiative that brings the thrill of live vocal music to new places and unexpected spaces
- Wolf Trap’s Young at Arts program invites families to introduce their children to the performing arts by offering one free youth ticket for each adult ticket purchased to select performances
- Summer 2018 also includes performances at Children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods – featuring the best of children’s music, dance, theater and the popular Wolf Trap mini-musical, Listen, Wilhelmina!, commissioned by Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts
- New at the Park: José Andrés’ ThinkFoodGroup and the Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts partner to bring you OVATIONS by America Eats. Dine on-site and enjoy Chef José’s take on American classics with the finest ingredients that honor local and regional flavors inspired by some of the country’s most historic dishes and drinks
- Five new high definition LED screens will enhance concertgoers experience on the lawn and balcony and provide a larger-than-life view of the performers on the stage
Vienna, Va. (May 21, 2018)–Pack your picnic, grab your friends, and get ready for stunning shows during star-filled nights because summer fun starts this weekend at Wolf Trap! Wolf Trap kicks off the official start of summer for Washington-area music lovers on the Filene Center stage at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. A complete press kit, print-ready photography, and a chronological calendar are online in the press room.
Opening weekend begins on Friday, May 25 with The Washington Ballet’s debut at the Filene Center, performing Giselle, followed on Saturday, May 26 by Live from Here (formerly A Prairie Home Companion) with Chris Thile and special musical guest Kacey Musgraves. On Sunday, May 27, the ever-popular annual free Summer Blast-Off! returns, featuring “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band and a fireworks display. The first full month of summer features performances from John Fogerty and ZZ Top (May 29 and 30), John Prine with Margo Price (June 1), Classic Albums Live Presents: The Beatles – White Album (June 2), and more. Wolf Trap Opera is also taking performances outside the Park as part of UNTRAPPED, an initiative that brings the thrill of live vocal music to new places and unexpected spaces, including Kurt Weill’s The Seven Deadly Sins (June 23-24) at Dock 5 at Union Market in partnership with Halcyon’s By The People.
Exceptional performers from a variety of genres provide entertainment options for everyone to come to experience the beauty, excitement, and fun of Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. The season features debut acts including Steven Tyler and The Loving Mary Band (June 21), Motown The Musical (June 26-28), Halsey with Jessie Reyez (July 15), Queen Latifah and Common (July 20), Charlie Puth with Hailee Steinfeld (July 25), HANSON STRING THEORY with the National Symphony Orchestra (August 4), 5 Seconds of Summer (September 5), and Alanis Morissette (September 6). Wolf Trap welcomes many returning favorites–including Roger Daltrey performing The Who’s Tommy (June 10 and 12), Harry Connick Jr. (June 14), Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers with The Wood Brothers (June 29), Reba McEntire (July 1), Indigo Girls (July 10), Tedeschi Trucks Band (July 11), Slightly Stoopid (July 12), Boy George & Culture Club and The B-52s (July 18), Jeff Beck and Ann Wilson of Heart (August 20), Dawes with Shovels & Rope (August 23), Kenny G and The Tenors (August 30), Ziggy Marley and Steel Pulse (September 1), and more. View the full calendar here.
The National Symphony Orchestra returns for its summer residency! The NSO kicks off its season featuring music from the movies including Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban™ - In Concert (July 7-8), Jaws in Concert (July 21), and Casino Royale in Concert (July 22). The summer also includes as part of a national celebration, Bernstein at 100 - A Celebration featuring dancer Misty Copeland, jazz clarinetist Paquito D’Rivera, actor George Takei, Broadway singer Tony Yazbeck, Metropolitan Opera soprano Erin Morley, and more (July 27).
New this season, concertgoers will experience the amazing flavors of José Andrés’ ThinkFoodGroup at the in-park outdoor restaurant, OVATIONS by America Eats; newly developed concessions foods will also tantalize the palettes of our patrons; newly designed and reusable Wolf Trap Pavilion Cups will also allow patrons to bring beer, wine, mixed and soft drinks to in-house seats. For concertgoers on the lawn and balcony, newly installed high definition LED screens will provide an enhanced perspective of the artists on stage and create a larger-than-life artistic experience.
In addition to the Filene Center season, Wolf Trap hosts performances at The Barns at Wolf Trap by Wolf Trap Opera, one of the most highly acclaimed artist training programs in the nation. Wolf Trap Opera’s complete schedule features four staged productions, including exciting new contemporary productions of Idomeneo by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Roméo et Juliette by Charles Gounod. Wolf Trap also presents performances for children and families at Children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods. The seven week season, June 19 through August 3, showcases the best of children’s music, dance, theatre and more.
The Summer 2018 season will conclude September 15 with the Wolf Trap Ball, Wolf Trap’s signature black-tie event in support of its award-winning arts, education, and community programs. Held on stage at the Filene Center, this year’s unique charitable event will be hosted in partnership with the British Embassy and is co-chaired by Teresa Carlson, and Don and Angela Irwin.
- The Filene Center at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts is located at 1551 Trap Road, Vienna, VA.
- The Barns at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts is located at 1635 Trap Road, Vienna, VA.
- Getting to Wolf Trap has never been easier: Wolf Trap is accessible by car, bus, and Metro. Parking is free. Visit www.wolftrap.org/directions for complete details.
- Patrons are welcomed and encouraged to bring their own food and drink, including alcoholic beverages. Wolf Trap’s OVATIONS by America Eats restaurant and concessions are also available onsite. Visit www.wolftrap.org/dining.
- Tickets are on sale now. Pricing varies by performance and seat location. See wolftrap.org for complete details. Tickets may be purchased:
- Online at wolftrap.org
- By phone at 877.WOLFTRAP
- In-person at the Filene Center Box Office, 1551 Trap Road, Vienna, VA
Wolf Trap’s 2018 season is made possible by generous support from the following
Wolf Trap Foundation Official Sponsors and Partners:
Dan and Gayle D’Aniello, Wolf Trap 2018 Season Underwriters
The PNC Foundation, Premier Sponsor, 2018 Summer Season
The Boeing Company, Major Sponsor, Boeing Salutes Series
American Airlines, Official Airline
Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, Official Hotel
Steinway & Sons, Official Pianos
Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, produces and presents a full range of performance and education programs in the Greater Washington area, as well as nationally. Wolf Trap features three performance venues: the outdoor Filene Center and Children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods, both located at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, and The Barns at Wolf Trap, located down the road from the national park and adjacent to the Center for Education at Wolf Trap. The 7,028-seat Filene Center is operated in partnership with the National Park Service and annually showcases an extensive array of diverse artists, ranging from pop, country, folk, and blues to classical music, dance, and theatre, as well as multimedia presentations, from May through September. The Barns at Wolf Trap is operated by the Wolf Trap Foundation year round, and during the summer months is home to the Grammy-nominated Wolf Trap Opera, one of America’s outstanding resident ensemble programs for young professional opera singers. Wolf Trap’s education programs include the nationally acclaimed Wolf Trap Institute for Early Learning Through the Arts, Children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods, a diverse array of arts education classes, grants, and a nationally recognized internship program.
(Please do not publish)
Wolf Trap’s Summer 2018 Press Kit, including press calendars with descriptors, individual show pricing, and high-resolution images are available online at www.wolftrap.org/press-and-media.
Media inquiries, including requests for interviews and/or to cover performances, may be directed to: